Today’s devotion is dedicated to my dear friend, diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. MS is a horrible scary disease linked to inflammation in the body. MS is a demyelinating autoimmune disease involving inflammation. Many theories have found positive effects from diet in decreasing inflammation in the body and improving neuronal health. One such scientist to discover this link between disease and inflammation, was Roy Swank.
Dr. Roy Swank, a scientist and physician, spent his 99 years on earth working to find a cure fro MS. When I find out about scientists, pioneers in medicine that went against societal norms, I explore further to find out more about their story. From Dr. Swank’s obituary: He lived to 99 years old. Dr. Swank had a distinguished career as an innovative medical researcher and clinician who had the respect of the world wide medical community. He was devoted to his patients and gifted with wide ranging research interests. Ultimately his main research focus was on the etiology and treatment of multiple sclerosis where he pioneered a radical approach to treating multiple sclerosis using diet. It has proven to be the most effective treatment for multiple sclerosis to date based on clinical evidence from thousands of patients in his care dating from the late 1940s. (https://swankmsdiet.charityfinders.com/Dr%20Swank%20Obituary)
Reemphasizing this point again : Diet, the most effective treatment for MS to date based on clinical evidence. At the end of this devotion is a brief guideline to the Swank Diet and links to the MS foundation website. So thankful for for pioneers that led and continue to lead us in understanding the importance of diet and the health of our bodies. Diet can heal.
Today’s scripture and time of devotion comes from Jeremiah. It was a prayer for healing of his people.
Jeremiah 14:19-22 The Message (MSG)
A prayer for Healing
19-22 God, have you said your final No to Judah?
Can you simply not stand Zion any longer?
If not, why have you treated us like this,
beaten us nearly to death?
We hoped for peace—
nothing good came from it;
We looked for healing—
and got kicked in the stomach.
We admit, O God, how badly we’ve lived,
and our ancestors, how bad they were.
We’ve sinned, they’ve sinned,
we’ve all sinned against you!
Your reputation is at stake! Don’t quit on us!
Don’t walk out and abandon your glorious Temple!
Remember your covenant.
Don’t break faith with us!
Can the no-gods of the godless nations cause rain?
Can the sky water the earth by itself?
You’re the one, O God, who does this.
So you’re the one for whom we wait.
You made it all,
you do it all.
Today’s spotify song is a song in honor of pioneers. “Pioneers” by For King and Country.
SWANK MS DIET QUICK REFERENCE
- No processed foods containing saturated fat and/or hydrogenated oils.
- Saturated fat should not exceed 15 grams per day. Unsaturated fat (oils) should be kept to 20-50 grams/day.
- Fruits and vegetables are permissible in any amount.
- No red meat for the first year, including pork. After the first year, 3 oz. of red meat is allowed once per week.
- White-meat poultry (skinless) and white fish are permissible, but avoid dark-meat poultry and limit fatty fish to 50 grams (1.75 oz)/day.
- Dairy products must contain 1% or less butterfat unless otherwise noted. Use egg whites only, no yolks.
- Cod liver oil (1 tsp. or equivalent capsules) and a multi-vitamin and mineral supplement are recommended daily.
- Whole-grain breads, rice, and pastas are encouraged.
- Daily snacks of nuts & seeds are good sources of natural oil, and help maintain a good energy level. (Resource from Swank MS Foundation , http://www.swankmsdiet.org/ )